Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl



I have always enjoyed learning about European history. Don't get me wrong, American history is equally fascinating, but it just doesn't date back as far as I wish it did. One of my favorite topics has always Tudor England. For Christmas I received this necklace. Look familiar? If so, it's probably because you've seen it here.


Ugly Betty sports the same necklace. Whenever I wear mine, I always get the same remark: "Oh my gosh! Where did you get Ugly Betty's necklace?" I have to hold back laughter because, little do they know, my necklace (and Betty's!) are replicas of someone else's jewels. Who, you ask? Anne Boleyn.
The Other Boleyn Girl (a wonderful read, by the way) has been made into a movie that is going to come out this February. Needless to say, I can't wait. Anne Boleyn is one of the most intriguing women in history. Anne was one of Henry VIII's mistresses. Somehow, she managed to convince him to seek a divorce from his Spanish queen, Catherine of Arragon. She single handedly helped tear England away from the Catholic Church, and it was her daughter Elizabeth I that lead the country into its golden age. Unfortunately for Anne, she never gave birth to the son she promised Henry. She was executed for witchcraft. The whole story is quite fascinating.

No comments: